I have used the DISC tool as an executive and manager for many years. In the last 12 months I have gained my DISC accreditation and I have been kicking myself for all of the opportunities I have missed in my various teams and workplaces over the past 2 decades!
DiSC is an acronym for the four primary dimensions of behaviour;
- Dominance – direct, results-oriented, strong-willed and forceful.
- Influence – outgoing, enthusiastic, optimistic and lively.
- Steadiness – even-tempered, accommodating, patient and humble.
- Conscientiousness – analytical, reserved, precise and systematic.Put simply the DISC Profiling tool helps individuals and team gain a better understanding of themselves and others.
I regularly use DISC to assist clients with the following….
- Increasing self-awareness
- Building stronger relationships
- Communicating effectively
- Developing management skills
- Effectively manage conflict
- Broadening leadership perspectives
- Creating greater team cohesion
- Creating harmonious organisations; and more
Self awareness is one of the most important skills a leader can learn and a DISC profile is a great place to start.
I recently worked with a client who had a significant conflict issue between 2 senior managers. The situation had deteriorated to the point where they sought external help. I used the DISC profiling tool to gain insights into the underlying issues between these 2 individuals. Within days of debriefing them, both separately and together, we started to see improvements in their relationship. They became more aware of their own behaviour, and the behavioural preferences of each other. The relatively small investment this required saved this organisation potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars of direct and indirect cost if they had lost, or been forced to dismiss, one or both of these leaders.
DISC is, in my opinion, the single biggest gift you can give your team as a leader. It leads to fantastic, thick conversations, that start to delve into the true heart of matters. Solutions live at heart of matters so anything that helps you get there is worth doing.
Tim is a Speaker, Coach and Facilitator who works with people to help them live a congruent life. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or through his website at www.thecriticalfactor.com.au.